Interfering with communication (was: I need help with Functionali ty versus Function)

Subject: Interfering with communication (was: I need help with Functionali ty versus Function)
From: Lorin Ledger <LLedger -at- TOTAL-CARE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 09:41:37 -0700

David D. wrote:

"Writers who refuse to use terminology common in their business
> and expected by those who read their documents are interfering
> with communication, not improving it."

This comment requires an answer!

There is a difference between the project manager's use of terminology
and the audience's understanding of terminology. If the audience is
other project managers, then "Functionality" might be OK. If the
audience is not familiar with the term "Functionality" ...

IMO, the original post showed concern for the audience.

Second point ... what is commonly used ain't necessarily correct,
especially if it ain't precise. Our job as writers is to translate
imprecise language and terminological usage into the clear use of
language and terms.

Lorin C. Ledger
Technical Writer
New Horizon Technologies