Re: pdf vs. html

Subject: Re: pdf vs. html
From: Max Wyss <prodok -at- PRODOK -dot- CH>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 02:17:39 +0200

Scott (and Diane),

It may be that we have a bit a different view of those formats. A good year
ago, I would have fully subscribed your comments about PDF in comparison to
HTML. But with the version 1.2 PDF format (used by Acroba 3), you have way
more possibilities than before.

If you have the right tools, you can insert hyperlinks as easy as for HTML.
You have way more control over your document.

And, IMHO the most important feature, with PDF you have the guarantee for
document integrity because everything is _in one file_. With HTML, you have
to maintain a multitude of files not only on development level, but also on
delivery level. With PDF you have still the multitude of files on
development level, but you deliver essentially one file per document. That
you also have the guarantee for appearance integrity is a welcome
by-product of the format.

Hope, this can help.

Max Wyss
PRODOK Engineering AG
Technical documentation and translations, Electronic Publishing
CH-8906 Bonstetten, Switzerland

Fax: +41 1 700 20 37
e-mail: mailto:prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch or 100012 -dot- 44 -at- compuserve -dot- com

Bridging the Knowledge Gap ...

... with Acrobat Forms ... now for belt drive designers at

http://www.prodok.ch/prodok/riemen.html