Re: Converting Mac screen dumps to PC

Subject: Re: Converting Mac screen dumps to PC
From: Mike Stockman <stockman -at- JAGUNET -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 14:10:24 -0400

On 7/17/1998 1:46 PM, George Mena (George -dot- Mena -at- ESSTECH -dot- COM) wrote:

>Factual clarifications and corrections for the list, for Mike Stockman
>and for Melanie Gray:
>
>1) Command-Shift-3 is the hotkey sequence in the Mac environment. This
>is easily verifiable by reading the Macintosh Bible.

Beginning with MacOS8, command-shift-3 makes a PICT of the entire screen,
while command-shift-4 lets you drag to select the area you want to
capture.

>2) Screen captures are numbered from Picture 0 through Picture 9
>*ONLY.* When you get to Picture 9, drag the files to diskette to save
>them, then either delete the original Picture x files or save the next
>batch of graphics in another folder on the Mac in question to avoid
>accidentally overwriting the first batch.

As you sent privately, this isn't true with MacOS8 either. It keeps
numbering on up, forever... give or take.

>3) Mac-based screen captures are saved as MacPaint-formatted graphics,
>NOT in PICT format! After the captures are created, they need to be
>converted to PICT before a Windows application like Photoshop can use
>them. The Mac version of Photoshop should work well here. So will
>ExpertDraw, which not only gives you PICT files but also EPS files.
>It's $29US or something like that.

PICT format is correct with all recent MacOS releases. I'm not sure when
it started... somewhere in MacOS 7-land.

>4) MacPaint-based screen captures that have been converted to PICT
>format can in fact be imported into WinWord documents, beginning at Word
>6 and continuing to Word 97

Word can import PICT files, as can other programs. I've had more problems
with PICT files (both bugs and cross-platform issues) than I've ever had
with TIFF, GIF, or JPEG files, so that's what I recommended using.
Besides, TIFF will work with virtually any publishing platform known,
whether it's UNIX, MacOS, Windows, OS/2, etc., while PICT probably won't
fare so well.

Just to set the record straight...

----->Mike

Internet: stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com AOL: MStockman