Re: fees: charging for conceptual time

Subject: Re: fees: charging for conceptual time
From: Fabien Vais <phantoms -at- POP -dot- TOTAL -dot- NET>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 09:13:09 -0400

thinking time. The difficulty lies in estimating the length of time it took
you to "come up" with the solution. And you must do this estimating.

What I often do is start a meter going every time I actively think of the
project. Without overdoing it, of course. If it is just a fleeting thought,
I wouldn't mark down "3 minutes thinking", etc. But if I sit down and work
on my project, and think about it for a half hour or so, even if nothing
comes out of that thinking process, I certainly bill for that half hour.

So, I guess what you bill for, and how much you bill for thinking, is up to
your conscience and your ethics.

If I were that mechanic who billed for "knowing exactly where to hit with
his hammer", I probably wouldn't charge $300, but I certainly wouldn't
charge only $0.25. I would think it was normal to charge for my "expertise"
in determining how to solve the customer's problem. But I would also use my
conscience so as not to swindle the customer either. Perhaps $10 would have
been more appropriate.

Fabien Vais

At 09:14 PM 7/18/98 -0400, you wrote:
>For contract gigs, how do you charge for time you spend thinking
>about how to approach a problem?

<SNIP the rest...>
Fabien Vais - Documentation Analyst
phantoms -at- total -dot- net