Re: pdf - Distiller vs. PDFWriter

Subject: Re: pdf - Distiller vs. PDFWriter
From: Jeroen Hendrix <jhe -at- MEDIASYS -dot- NL>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 12:22:09 +0100

Dan Butler wrote:
> I have a quick question. I keep seeing references to distilling
postcript files
> for creation. I know that the Distiller is there but is there an
advantage to
> using Distiller versus PDFWriter? I've only used PDFWriter in the
past.

Dan,

The writer can be used for simple documents containing mainly text. When
your document is rather large and contains lots of BPM, TIFF or EPS
graphics you should use the distiller, as the writer will probably
chocke on that. As for Framemaker documents, always use the distiller.
So all in all: The distiller will process everything, the best tool for
all jobs.
The writer is a cheap solution for simple jobs.

regards,

Jeroen Hendrix
Technical Communications
Mediasystemen B.V., a Triple-P company
POBox 32, 2060 AA Bloemendaal, the Netherlands

Fax: +31 23 526 0072
Tel: +31 23 525 9010
mail to: jhe -at- mediasys -dot- nl
http://www.mediasys.triple-p.com