Re: Question about localization

Subject: Re: Question about localization
From: Yvonne DeGraw <yvonne -at- SILCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 09:54:18 -0700

What is the preferred source if you are doing a localized version (say
French Canadian) and you already have English source and a "standard" French
translation? Is it better and/or cheaper to work from the English source or
from the French translation?

We'll also have the same issue with Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese.

I remember someone mentioned going from English->Hebrew->Russian rather than
English->Hebrew and English->Russian. That seems fraught with peril, but I'm
not sure when the localization is more a dialect than a separate language.
Yvonne DeGraw, Technical Services o Technical Writing
yvonne -at- silcom -dot- com o Online Help
http://www.silcom.com/~yvonne o Web Documentation
Tel: 805/683-5784 o Database Publishing
Santa Barbara STC: http://stc.org/region8/snb