Re: One Doc-Two Audiences

Subject: Re: One Doc-Two Audiences
From: Kevin Christy <kkchristy -at- YAHOO -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 10:11:55 -0700

I have a few ideas about this:

1) Separate out the basic, user-oriented information into a
supplemental section, either at the front or the end of the guide;

2) Separate each chapter by user and admin topics; and,

3) Place in the margin of each section text boxes that highlight
information of particular interest to either the user or the
administrator. Since you said the administrator is the primary
audience, summary information for the user might go well there.

I like the idea of having information arranged by topic as opposed to
by audience, so the third approach would be the one I would try to
work with. With a well-written work, one can move along from topic to
topic, selecting the depth to which one wants to delve into that
particular topic by starting with the main points (which should be
clearly stated early in the section) and taking in details as they're
needed.

Hope this helps.

Kevin Christy
Port/Christy & Associates