Prepositions at the end of a sentence (was: 'directions below' or 'below directions'?)

Subject: Prepositions at the end of a sentence (was: 'directions below' or 'below directions'?)
From: Michael Christie <Michael_C2 -at- VERIFONE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 11:10:54 -0700

Right. The rule was a result of the imposition of the rules on Latin grammar
onto English early on in the history of the language. It makes sense in
Latin, where word order is dictated not by grammar but by your emphasis.
Hence, words that are central to your message go at the beginning and end of
the sentence, while things like prepositions are relegated to the middle. It
doesn't always make sense to follow the rule in English.

Winston Churchill is said to have had the following observation on the
topic:

"This is the kind of arrant pedantry up with which I will not put."

(LaVonna, are you still hanging out on this list?)

Mike Christie
Senior Information Developer
VeriFone, Inc.
MikeC -at- verifone -dot- com