Re: translation software (advertisement)

Subject: Re: translation software (advertisement)
From: Bill Burns <BillDB -at- ILE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 10:22:08 -0600

Bernie,

To be fair to Winfried, you need to understand that he is talking about a
translation memory (TM) tool, rather than a machine translation tool.
Translation memory has to do with aligning existing English and translated
segments which can then be tracked to increase the amount of previously
translated text that can be reused in later versions of a document. This
process is already reliable and in use. There are also tools used for
establishing glossaries and checking for consistency. As far as machine
translation goes (although I think Winfried will probably disagree here), I
understand that it can be used effectively under certain constraints (such
as a highly controlled and limited vocabulary and syntax, such as CE).
However, it should never be used to produce on-the-fly translations of
documents for publications without post-translation editing.

Bill Burns
ILE Communications/Eccentric Technology Consultant
billdb -at- ile -dot- com