SEQ fields references (Re: Automatic caption numbering in Word97 -- not updating

Subject: SEQ fields references (Re: Automatic caption numbering in Word97 -- not updating
From: JIMCHEVAL -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 16:15:37 EDT

In a message dated 98-07-22 16:04:08 EDT, tracy_boyington -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG writes:

<< 1) Was I wrong to assume Word would automatically update the figure
numbers if I added or deleted a figure?>>
No, you weren't. That's how it works.
<<(2) Was I also wrong to assume that I could copy the field from the
caption, paste it in the text (as in "See Figure {field}") and have Word
automatically update the text as needed?>>
Well, sort of. You actually have to create a bookmark for the original
location, then have the sequence field (that SEQ thingie) reference the
bookmark - {SEQ FIGURE BookMKName}
<<(3) If I wasn't wrong in my assumptions, what am I doing wrong in
practice? >>
See #2 for the reference syntax. Otherwise, of course you have to update your
fields to get the new values (generally by using Select All from the Edit
menu, then pressing F9 - unless you want to select them one by one and press
F(...).

Jim Chevallier
North Hollywood
== TW page - http://members.aol.com/jimcheval/twone.htm [comments welcome]