Re: Automatic caption numbering in Word97 -- not updating

Subject: Re: Automatic caption numbering in Word97 -- not updating
From: "Bergen, Jane" <janeb -at- ANSWERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 15:28:38 -0500

Tracy, your assumptions 1 and 2 are correct. The problem is in
understanding when and how Word updates.

When you insert or delete an automatically-numbered caption, Word will
indeed update the rest of the captions.....BUT only when you open the
document, print the document, or manually update the fields (you can
always insert your cursor in a field and press F9 key to update an
automatic field or cross-reference). Of course, check all your
preference options carefully to be sure that you have not inadvertently
deselected something to make it do that.

One problem, at least with Word 97 (I don't recall seeing it in previous
versions), is that Word "sometimes" (apparently randomly) forgets to
update cross-references, automatic fields, etc. in text boxes and less
often forgets to update items in tables. I've tried to figure out why,
but with no success.

I wouldn't dream of it.....! There are lots of reasons to use Word over
Frame anyway. It just depends on the job and the user.

Jane
Jane Bergen, Technical Writer
AnswerSoft, Inc.
Richardson, TX (972)997-8355