Q on indexing set of manuals with Word7

Subject: Q on indexing set of manuals with Word7
From: rivka <rivka -at- DIRECT -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 16:18:56 -0700

Can anyone advise me from experience on this one. I'm cross-posting to TECHWR-L and an indexing list. Please reply to rivka -at- direct -dot- ca and I'll summarize responses for the lists.

Situation: I'm indexing a set of single-source manuals, written in Word 7 for PC, to be compiled by Doc-2-Help into Help for Windows, re-compiled after that for Quickhelp on the Mac, compiled as PDF files, and printed as paper documents. They may also become HTML files. All need indexes.

When this set is done, there's another set to be indexed, but only for PC, not for Mac. Otherwise, same situation, and roughly same number of manuals.

I am unable to use dedicated indexing software such as CINDEX or SKY Index, as these apps don't provide for embedded entries, so far as I know.

Questions:
Do you build a set of index entries outside the files, edit them, and make them as final as possible before inserting index entries in the documents? If so, why?

Or do you insert entries before editing the index? If so, why?

Or do you use dedicated indexing software and somehow insert the entries? IF YOU DO, HOW DO YOU DO IT--this would be fabulous, if you've figured out how. Please let me and I'll joyfully pass it along to other indexers.

Thanks all for any info you can provide.
Rivka Arieli