Re: Layoffs and scrounging

Subject: Re: Layoffs and scrounging
From: Rowena Hart <rhart -at- INTRINSYC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 09:32:21 -0700

Re: Layoffs and scrounging

>Is it typical to redistribute equipment among the survivors? I'd really
>like to think we will be calling the others back. I'm not sure I would want
>to come back after a lay-off to find my desk marauded.

I experienced a massive layoff when I was contracting
to our provincial government a couple of years ago -- more
than 70% of my co-workers were axed. The first admin-
istrative activity following the layoffs was to catalogue and
"rationalize" office equipment, including pens, notepads,
posters from the walls ... nothing was sacred, not even the
coffee pot.

Computers are especially valuable, and are the first items
to be relocated (removed) from a vacant office. They may
be locked up in a secure room, given to people who need
upgrades, or sold to raise funds.

Most of the people who returned were moved into another
section or division. From management's point of view, layoffs
are a great opportunity to create new teams and start again.
Your co-workers may return to work at the company, but in a
different capacity and with new responsibilities.

Hope this helps,

Rowena

Rowena Hart
Technical Writer