Re: Adobe Distiller

Subject: Re: Adobe Distiller
From: Jill Ramacciotti <jramacci -at- SIEBEL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 09:39:28 -0700

You need to set your properties right in the distiller. I just wrote this
yesterday, so you are right in time.

Realize these instructions are for optimization, not file size.

Thanks,

Jill Marie Ramacciotti
Senior Technical Writer
650-295-5739

------------------------

PDF Instructions

To set up Adobe Distiller
Open Distiller.
Select Distiller>Job Options.

In the General panel, choose Acrobat 3.0 from the Compatability menu and
check ASCII Format. (easier for platform transfer.)

In the Compression panel, clear every check box except:
Compress text and line art
Color Bitmap images - Change to 600 dpi
Monochrome Bitmap Images Manual Compression
This is the optimal when creating PDFs for both online viewing and printing.
The PDF will be larger, but there will be no loss of image quality. The
selected compression schemes are lossless.

In the Font Embedding panel, check Embed All Fonts and clear Subset Fonts
Below.

On the Advanced panel:
Check Preserve Overprint Settings and Preserve Halftone Screen Information.
Choose Preserve for Transfer Functions and Under Color Removal/Black
Generation.
Make sure the Unchanged button is selected for Color Conversion.

Creating your PDF
Make sure you choose the PPD of the printer you plan to use.