ADMIN: Excessive Quotes

Subject: ADMIN: Excessive Quotes
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 11:04:46 -0600

Gang,

I've been sending, for several weeks now, a form
letter that politely reminds people to trim their
postings and not quote previous messages
wholesale, including the techwr-l footer etc.
(For those of you who are NOT on DIGEST,
you've no idea how hard this makes it
to read the digests. It's bad with regular mail,
it's nearly impossible with digests.)

There's really no reason NOT to trim messages.
None of us would claim that three copies of
the techwr-l footer helps provide any context
for the posting--it just shows a greater concern
for providing commentary than for the people
who might read the commentary. We spend
lots of time talking about accommodating
readers--why not each other?

Frankly, I'm getting tired of this. I'm about to
start noposting people after repeated reminders
to trim messages, if for no other reason than to get
the poster's attention. Messages from the listowner
about quotes don't seem to be consistently effective,
but suspension of posting privileges usually has an immediate
effect.

If you have comments, make them to me offline.
If you've already received and ignored "too many
quotes" messages from me, consider this the a
warning.

Eric

* Eric J. Ray, ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com, http://www.raycomm.com/
* _HTML 4 for Dummies Quick Reference_, and others.
* RayComm, Inc., currently accepting contract inquiries.