Re: I'm drowning in electronic paper...S.O.S! (long)

Subject: Re: I'm drowning in electronic paper...S.O.S! (long)
From: Barbara Karst-Sabin <barbara -at- QUOTE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 10:34:18 -0700

Lisa Comeau wrote:
> Executive Summary (brief statement of the situation, problems, resources, and the basic intent of the document)
>
> Introduction (why we need a training plan-basically a statement about how we have to keep our employees up to date, and to do that we have to...)
>
> Considerations (information about learning, types of learning, what type we need to implement)
>
> Objectives (just-in-time training, empowerment of employees, access to skills...)
>
> Audience Statement (who will be trained, their education level, their job descriptions)
>
> Content, Format, and Schedule of Delivery (The courses themselves-this is the longest part, it has to be the most thorough, so I know I can't cut it...)
>
> Resources (existing and needed to make the training go off without a hitch)
>
> Time line (time needed to: prepare courses, instructor learning, deliver information, follow-up)
>
> Action Plan (what we need to do)
>
> Recommended Methodology (how to do what we need to do)
>
> Conclusion (blah blah...this is why we have to follow the plan...blah blah)
> snip!<
> If it IS supposed to be set up this way, I will resign myself (and my boss) to the fact that it's going to be reeeeeeely loooooong, and he'll have to wait for it.

That's about right, but each of those items does not have to be long.
If you use info-mapping, you can include several items on each page. It
all depends on your bureaucracy and the size of the undertaking, e.g.,
if it's a curriculum for training course developers, you would have
numerous courses to be developed which would involve a lot more upfront
planning.

This is really supposed to be a road map for the development project.
All you need to do is show how to get from "here" to "there" in the
easiest possible way. The actual development is the hard part!

BJ