Re: Task Analysis vs Systems Analysis

Subject: Re: Task Analysis vs Systems Analysis
From: Elna Tymes <etymes -at- LTS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 12:37:33 -0700

Anthony -

> Task = Function = Predefined set of procedure to be executed in support
> of business goal(s).
>
> The task defintion portion of Task Analysis = Definition of tasks
> (functions) accomplished by the system end users.
>
> Function Analysis = Definition of functions (tasks) accomplished by
> system end users AND definition of functions (tasks) automatically
> accomplished inside the computer.
>
> Therefore, the task definition portion of Task Analysis is merely a
> subset of Function Analysis. That is that, this portion of Task
> Analysis is essentially Systems Analysis.

I agree completely. Systems Analysis, in our company definitions,
amounts to both the overview of how various parts of the whole
work/communicate with each other, and Functional Analysis is pretty much
one step down from that in terms of specificity. Task Analysis is a
detailed look at just how those functions get performed, and frequently
results in a list of steps to be followed.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems