German characters in SGI files

Subject: German characters in SGI files
From: Jean Clougherty <jean -at- VITALIMAGES -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 15:40:22 -0500

Hi guys,

I need to put German text into a file that is used by an SGI computer.
The text is currently in a MicrosSoft Word file stored on a Macintosh.
The file includes letters that are not in English, such as vowels with
umlautes over them. I need to put this text into an ascii text file on an SGI
computer, without losing the international characters.

Here are the things I have tried so far:

I tried doing a Save As to save as a text file. What I got was total
garbage on the SGI.

I tried copying the text from the MS Word file and pasting it into a
SimpleText file. It looks fine in SimpleText on the Mac, but when I put the
SimpleText file on the SGI, the international characters are replaced by a
weird character I had never seen before.

I tried copying it from Word to FrameMaker, and doing a Save As in
FrameMaker, saving as Text Only. The words that contained umualtes were garbage
on the SGI.

Any help would be very welcome.

Thanks,
Jean

Jean Clougherty E-mail jean -at- vitalimages -dot- com
Technical Writer Phone (515) 472-7726 ext. 106
Vital Images Fax (515) 472-1661
505 N. 4th St.
Fairfield, IA 52556 U.S.A.