Re: FWD: Contracting and project queries

Subject: Re: FWD: Contracting and project queries
From: Katherine Pyle <kathpyle -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 10:38:56 -0700

At 12:44 PM 7/24/98 -0600, you wrote:
>Name withheld upon request. Please reply on list.

>Comments/Questions for Contractors:
>

>a) How can you ensure that the job that you were told about in the
>interview translates into the job you actually do? Do you write it in the
>contract?

I have a general contract that covers all the boilerplate like the fact I
am a contractor (not employee), I won't divulge company information, etc.
But there is ALSO always a signed attachment page which includes the
specifics of the particular project: name of program and each specific
document to be created, planned number of drafts and expected deadlines,
payment rate and schedule, etc.

If they want to make major changes in what they want me to do (as oppoesd
to just slipping a deadline or changing the manual size slightly), a new
attachment page is created, which we both sign to show that we agree to the
change in plans. In some 10 years of working as a contractor, I have
always done this as a matter of course.

>2. On a semi-related note, I've worked for the same contract agency for a
>few years, but they haven't actually found a job for me in a long time....

I've only actually worked through an agency perhaps twice (for two short
projects) so have no information about that.

Katherine Pyle
Berkeley, CA