Response to "subjectless" e-mail

Subject: Response to "subjectless" e-mail
From: Julie Pitt <julie_pitt_at_infopro2 -at- INFOPRO -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 10:47:30 -0400

Responding to Lin Laurie <linlaurie -at- EMAIL -dot- MSN -dot- COM>
Subject: Just wondering if you respond to e-mail when there is no subject?

Lin Laurie wrote:
<I know I don't usually open it. What does everyone else do? Is it a matter
of being unaware that it saves us all time? If I can see what the message
is about, then I know whether or not I want to open it or pass. If there's
no subject, I figure it isn't worth my while. How about the rest of you?
Maybe this message could make those of you who send out messages without a
subject realize that you'll get a better response if you include one with
your messages.

Thanks for listening to my rant.>

I know that for at least 95% of the messages I send, I type a subject line. But
there is the odd message here and there for which I just plain forget to type a
subject line. So, I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt, and read
"subjectless" messages anyway. If one particular sender made a habit of never
including a subject line, however, I would send that person a gentle suggestion
to begin typing a subject line on future messages. If he or she did not heed the
advice, then I probably wouldn't read "subjectless" e-mail from that person
anymore.

There's my 2 cents.