Font Question, Multi use document

Subject: Font Question, Multi use document
From: Julia Land <jltw -at- EARTHLINK -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 10:03:29 -0500

Good morning,

I am forwarding a question from a colleague who does not subscribe to
this list. Any replies can be sent directly to her, Karen Farrell
<kfarrell -at- gxt -dot- com>, or to the list and I will forward them to her.

Thank you.

Julia Land
jalnd -at- earthlink -dot- net

Forwarded question:

I am designing a template for our training manuals and user guides.
These documents will be hardcopy and PDF.

I am trying to decide which font and point size to use. I was
considering Palatino 12 pt., which looks good on paper and is readable
online. However, I've heard that Palatino is not suitable for technical
material. I'm also considering New Century Schoolbook, but that seems
too round and immature. Times is out of the question: I just can't read
it online.

I'm fairly limited in the fonts I can use because I develop on a UNIX
system. (My users are on UNIX and PC.)

Also, point size: is 12 too much? Our users are mainly in their 30s and
40s. 11 pt. is readable online, but 12 is a lot better.

Thanks for your input.

Karen Farrell
kfarrell -at- gxt -dot- com