Re: Emphasize the +

Subject: Re: Emphasize the +
From: GM Vick <gmv -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 18:18:28 -0700

Well, my suggestion would be to play up your current skill set and
projects you've completed successfully. When they approach the issue of
why you are looking for a new job, put it in terms of knowing what the
market offers people with your skills. You probably also have several
things that starting your own department have taught you, and I don't think
it's saying anything negative if you say something to the effect that
you've had the experience of being both a producer in tech writer and of
managing a team of people, and find the role of producing documentation
more personally rewarding than management (if that's true, at least).

I recently went through a round of interviewing people, and spent a lot of
time reflecting on how the people who: 1) seemed really confident in their
ability to learn what was expected; 2) were able to convince me that they
knew the kind of work they excelled at and that they wanted nothing more
than to do that work to the best of their ability; and 3) seemed like
good, solid team players stood out favorably. The people who said negative
things about their current situation made me question whether I'd be
hiring someone alse's headache. The other kiss of death was an interviewee
who wanted to "learn the ropes and then be left alone in (her) cubicle"
(direct quote).

Hope this helps.