Re: Training costs

Subject: Re: Training costs
From: "Schrank, Kelly (Tampa)" <schrank -at- TAMPA -dot- GENPHYSICS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 08:50:40 -0400

You sound like you're getting a good deal. I work for a
training company and if you get educational assistance and leave within
three years, you have to pay it all back. The only saving point is that
I heard that they are not very vigilant in tracking down those that
leave. Now, this is college courses, not the training courses that we
offer. You can usually take courses we offer without a problem. As
long as it is considered helpful to your job, they'll give you time and
travel expenses (if you need to go to another office). As far as
training that is not college and is not in-house, I have heard of
instances where they make you sign a contract that you won't leave
within a prescribed period of time, but that is specific to the training
and the management personnel giving it the ok.
So, I think that this is fairly standard practice.

Kelly Schrank
Technical Editor
General Physics