Humor in writing -- AGAIN?

Subject: Humor in writing -- AGAIN?
From: "Amy G. Peacock" <apeacock -at- WOLFENET -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 07:43:56 -0700

First, let me apologize for bringing up this tired old subject again.
I find myself facing this question, however, and I hope that someone
can give me an idea or two. Respond off list - let's assume everyone
is sick of this topic.

I just received some valuable and rare feedback from my bosses about
my current project. One of my bosses in particular really wants me to
add some humor to the documentation. I have fought this, of course,
not because I have an aversion to humor, but because I really don't
know how to make it funny. I tried explaining to my boss that this
kind of thing doesn't just materialize out of thin air. I tried
warning them of the problems with using humor in documentation -- to
no avail. So it seems that I am left with the task of trying to be
funny. "Amy! Get out there and be funny, dammit!"

I have tried to make my writing casual and have added a header or two
that is amusing - at least the first 100 times you read it. But they
want more!

I don't want to just give up on it. If funny headers will make my
bosses happy and help some end users relax about using a new tool then
I'll do it. But how? Any ideas?
I should also point out that this documentation is for an internal
audience.

Amy Peacock
techwriter & jewelrymaker
Snohomish, Washington
apeacock -at- wolfenet -dot- com

"How do I set my laser printer to stun?"

These are my opinions, not my employer's.