Screen shots within numbered steps, OR at the end?

Subject: Screen shots within numbered steps, OR at the end?
From: Tom Campbell <tcampbell -at- WEATHER -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 09:13:33 -0400

Joyce,
I would avoid separating the screen shots from their accompanying text at all costs. Better to be understood than to look organized at the expense of sense.

How about laying it out with screeen shots on one page and instructions on the facing page? You might end up with a lot of white space on the text side if the pix take up more space than the text, but creative use of margins, call-out quotes, etc. could alleviate that. Or if you can make it work, put the text beside the screen shots instead of between.

Tom Campbell

>I'm writing a user manual for beginners (not techies).
>I've included screen shots within the numbered steps. The idea is to
>include the illustration along with the instructions. The problem is
>that my list of five short steps now takes three pages....
{snip}