Re: Command Notation

Subject: Re: Command Notation
From: "Phelan, Dianne K" <dianne -dot- k -dot- phelan -at- INTEL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 08:57:00 -0700

Anne Weiner asked about command syntax notation:

> Lo these many years I was involved in a project whereby a command
> syntax was documented. I remember that in the planning stage we
> discussed two different alternatives for notation, one was "railroad
> diagramming" (I think), the other was a hyphenated term which I have
> completely forgotten.

Are you thinking of Backus-Nauer form (BNF)? For an example, see
the entry in the Free Online Dictionary of Computing at:

http://www.instantweb.com/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?Backus-Naur+Form

--Dianne Phelan
dianne -dot- k -dot- phelan -at- intel -dot- com

I speak for myself, not for Intel.