Re: Graphics in PDF

Subject: Re: Graphics in PDF
From: Tom Campbell <tcampbell -at- WEATHER -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 11:18:15 -0400

Connie,
PDFWriter is most likely the source of your problem. Adobe advises using PDFWriter only for quick & dirty all-text jobs.

>We're using Acrobat 3.01 same for Exchange, Distiller, and Reader.
>Our Printer is a HP LaserJet 5M
>He's using the PDFWriter to create the files

This is exactly the setup I was using when I went through my personal Acrobat hell. When we switched to Distiller we were able to tweak the settings in Job Options and achieve good results. The problem with PDFWriter is that it doesn't give you that control. Distiller seems like more trouble at first, but in the long run it will save you many headaches and gray hairs. (By the way, I typoed the printer type earlier; that should have been PCL, not PDL.)

To use Distiller:
1. Install a PostScript printer driver to use as a "dummy" printer when creating the PostScript files. (We used a Tektronix driver; I can't remember which one.)
2. Save the Word file as a PostScript file (*.ps)
3. Convert the *.ps file to PDF using Distiller

I'm not sure whether moving to FrameMaker will solve the problem, but it might. Since Adobe makes both products they should be more compatible. Switching to a PostScript printer might also help, I'm not sure.

Somewhere I may still have the procedures I wrote up for our group to use Distiller. Let me know if you're having problems and I'll see if I can find them.

Tom Campbell