Re: question: bulleted lists and periods

Subject: Re: question: bulleted lists and periods
From: "Porrello, Leonard" <Leonard -dot- Porrello -at- TANDEM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 08:24:57 -0700

I think that this is a pertinent issue for everyone on the list since, last
I checked, no clear standard had been established. Please forgive me and
correct me if I am mistaken!

Here, we use periods, even with fragments, even though they can be
considered redundant.

The argument has three prongs:

First, the period lets the reader know that no information has been chopped
off inadvertently.

Second, pedantically minded readers who don't understand that the period is
redundant in a bulleted list won't find fault with the document.

Third, those who know that the period can be considered redundant don't seem
to mind if a period appears. This last prong is like the argument of whether
to right justify with anything but the best typesetting equipment: No one
minds if there is a jagged right text margin, but some people really dislike
big rivers of white space in the text they are trying to read.

Leonard