Reply to SPAM (Education man)

Subject: Reply to SPAM (Education man)
From: Styles & Scribbles <sands -at- DRIZZLE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 18:55:12 -0700

The best resolution to SPAM is to contact both your ISP and the spammer's ISP. As responsible providers, they should take appropriate action. To spam a spammer isn't great protocol.

Since spam (certain types) is illegal in Washington State (where I reside), I merely respond to the spammer, cc'ing their ISP, as follows:

Dear spammer,

You are currently violating a Washington state anti-spam law by sending
unsolicited e-mail. The Washington anti-spam law can be found at:
http://leginfo.leg.wa.gov/pub/billinfo/house/2750-2774/2752-s_sl_032798.

Please note that the law forbids the transmission of certain types of
junk email from computers in Washington or to e-mail accounts held by
Washington State residents. Each message that violates the law entitles
minimum damages of $500 to individuals and $1,000 to Internet Service
Providers. The law also allows the Attorney General's Office to take
legal action.

If you do not remove me from your spam e-mail listing, you will be
reported to the Washington State Attorney General's Office and may
become subject to paying damages.

Thank you.

-Tif
S t y l e s & S c r i b b l e s