Re: Parallel Structure in Bulleted Lists

Subject: Re: Parallel Structure in Bulleted Lists
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- MARVIN -dot- ENG -dot- SUN -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 09:03:09 -0700

George Mena wrote:

> Janice Gelb said:
>
> <<Nor do I think that never mixing fragments with full
> sentences is practical . . . .>>
>
> I always compose bulleted lists in such a way that they're
> syntactically parallel. When wearing my editor's hat, I
> similarly ensure that all lists are parallel. Doing so often
> requires a bit of rewriting, but it isn't difficult. I don't
> know what Janice meant by practical, but to me, faulty
> parallel structure is as discordant as a tone-deaf singer in
> a barbershop quartet.

As I believe I stated, we do not consider mixing sentences and
fragments to be violating the concept of parallel structure; we try to
avoid it but have found that sometimes it is necessary. We do write and
edit so that the syntax of the items in the list agrees with the syntax
of the introduction, and with the syntax of the other items.

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with this
janice -dot- gelb -at- eng -dot- sun -dot- com | message is the return address.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8018/index.html