Documenting microprocessors

Subject: Documenting microprocessors
From: Patricia Johnson <patricia -dot- johnson -at- CPORTCORP -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 13:15:26 -0400

My company, a startup, is developing microprocessors. My documentation
experience has been focused on documenting an end product, not a product
that is implemented into another company's product. Right now, I'm trying
to understand the documentation needs of my audience and the special
requirements for documenting this type of product. I was wondering if those
who have had experience documenting this type of product could share their
documentation knowledge...

- how does the documentation cycle change to support a microprocessor type
of product?
- if you rely heavily on development specs as your source material (i.e.,
at least 80% of spec will be in the documentation), then how do you make
the transition from spec to documentation?
- what type of documents do you write for your audience (with a brief
description of general content of documents)?
- how do you deliver the documentation to the customers?
- anything else you think might be helpful!

Thanks for the help. Please respond directly to me at:
patricia -dot- johnson -at- cportcorp -dot- com

Pat

C-Port Corporation
Patricia Johnson
One High Street