Click Start, then...[style question]

Subject: Click Start, then...[style question]
From: Elizabeth Kane <bkane -at- ARTISOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 12:31:46 -0700

OK, I have a question for you, and I don't recall seeing this one on
the list. If it's an old topic and you're sick of it, well...oops.

When Microsoft came out with Windows 95 we all had to deal with
describing "Click Start, then..." ...then what?

I see that the Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Help is wording it this way:
"Click Start, then point to..."

To me this is quite understandable, but I also think it's unmanageably
wordy. This style can get really tiresome when you have several levels
to go through.

For example, if we followed that style, one part of one of our
products would be described this way:
"To set up security, click Start, then point to Programs, then point
to CoSession Remote 32, then point to Utilities, then click Administer
Security."

Instead, I've written it this way:
"To set up security, click Start, Programs, CoSession Remote 32,
Utilities, then select Administer Security."
(Perhaps inserting "then go to" before Programs would help some. I
used to do that.)

We haven't had any complaints. However, I've always harbored some
doubts about this style. I wonder how it would work for a user who's
really new at using Windows 95.

Our justification for using this style has been that we can assume
that anyone buying software for a Windows 95/98/NT computer will
instantly understand how to follow any instructions that start out
with "Click Start..."
Opinions? How do YOU word it?
Thanks,
Beth Kane