Re: The Tools Tech Writers Use

Subject: Re: The Tools Tech Writers Use
From: Marguerite Krupp <Marguerite_Krupp -at- BAYNETWORKS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 16:50:29 -0400

OK, Folks,

The Frame vs. Word arguments lead me to suggest something heretical. If it
important to share documents among people who use different tools, you can
always save the documents in some metalanguage format (SGML or rtf, for
example) and put the documents in question onto a server accessible to that
population. Then people can download the docs and open them in whatever
format they choose.

Really huge, international projects such as the Superconducting
Supercollider have used this expedient. For most things, though, it's
overkill (imho).

The simple answer: talk with one another. Talk to people in other
departments. A lot of our engineers just want stuff in PostScript format so
they can print it from their UNIX workstations. PostScript seems to be the
least common denominator, since Tech Pubs here uses Frame, marketing uses
Word, and Engineering uses emacs or vi. (GAK!)

Marguerite

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=