Re: The Tools Tech Writers Use

Subject: Re: The Tools Tech Writers Use
From: "Huber, Mike" <mrhuber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 17:37:16 -0400

> From: Marilyn Baldwin (mlbb -at- capgroup -dot- com)
> Of course, Word has shortcomings. But the constant
> disparagement on this
> list is a real downer. For some of us, it's the right tool.
> Your product
> doesn't have a better glow when you tarnish someone else's - whether
> they're stuck with it, or chose it. As I used to tell my son and his
> friends, you can't build yourself up one inch by tearing
> someone else down.

The constant disparagement of Word serves a purpose: eventually, the fact
that Word is often an inappropriate tool for the kinds of work we do will
get through to the people who select the tools we use.

There are times when the benefits of using a general-purpose tool outweigh
the limitations of that tool. I have recommended and used Word for that very
reason. But there are costs to using a tool beyond what is designed for, and
those of us who pay the cost (sometimes for good reasons, but often for
completely wrong reasons) can hardly be expected to be quiet about it.

For some of us, it's not a question of tearing Word down, but putting it in
it's proper place. Professionals make professional judgements, and sometimes
it ain't pretty. Don't take it personal.

---
Office:
mike -dot- huber -at- software -dot- rockwell -dot- com
Home:
nax -at- execpc -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=