Fwd: Re: Task vs Function ??

Subject: Fwd: Re: Task vs Function ??
From: Anthony Markatos <tonymar -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 1998 09:37:21 PDT

Pat Brown said:

From a performance perspective, a function is a unique cluster of tasks
common to a set of activities or outcomes. So "unlock the car", "start
the engine", "plan your route" are all common tasks for the function
"Drive the car". The task is an observable or measurable unit of work
which contributes with other tasks to the desired outcome.

Tony Markatos asks:

I hear you stating that a function is composed of multiple (and related)
tasks. Makes sense, except what about completely automated functions?
(These are functions invoked by a computer without any human
intervention.) Would you consider an automated function to be composed
of multiple tasks?

Also, if a task is observable and measurable, and if a function is
composed of multiple tasks, then a function must be also be observable
and measurable. But we all know that a typical computer system
automatically invokes a large number of functions that are neither
observable nor measurable.

I don't mean to be unnecessarily trying to "split hairs" on this.
However, I am trying to write a paper on the unique benefits of data
flow diagrams in performing an end user task analysis. And, in talking
with others, what I am finding is that there is so much confusion
surrounding tasks, functions, and their interrelationship that it is
hard to state anything without losing a significant portion of the
readers.

Like functions, can't any task be expressed by a noun/verb combination?
For example, can't we label "Visit Grandma" a task (in addition to
being able to label it a function)? And is it not just as valid to
envision a task to be composed of multiple functions?

Any comments appreciated.

Tony Markatos
(tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com)

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=