Re: Frame/HTML Source Question

Subject: Re: Frame/HTML Source Question
From: Max Wyss <prodok -at- PRODOK -dot- CH>
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 1998 16:28:02 +0200

Keith (and John),

One possibility is to load the HTML page into BBEdit and use the "as Text"
preview function. This strips all the tags off the document. Save it as
text document and load it into Frame. You will, however, have to reapply
the formats.

If the HTML document should remain intact, make the edits in BBEdit and get
to Frame after editing.

If there are lots of documents to convert, there might be some solutions to
"convert" the HTML text to MIF. It could be that FDK is needed.

Hope, this can help.

Max Wyss
PRODOK Engineering AG
Technical documentation and translations, Electronic Publishing
CH-8906 Bonstetten, Switzerland

Fax: +41 1 700 20 37
e-mail: mailto:prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch or 100012 -dot- 44 -at- compuserve -dot- com

Bridging the Knowledge Gap ...

... with Acrobat Forms ... now for belt drive designers at

http://www.prodok.ch/prodok/riemen.html

_____________

>Frame does a reasonably good job of EXPORTING HTML but it does not
>IMPORT HTML, at all.
>
>I'm in the same situation at work, as we have a lot of technical docs
>that the programmers have put up on web pages in HTML format. We'd
>like to use some of these as the basis for docs in Frame, but there's
>no simple way of getting them into Frame format.
>
>We did get an evaluation copy of a package called HTML2Frame (or
>something like that, it was mentioned on the Framers list, but we
>could not get it to work as it kept crashing (it actually messed up
>the installation of the person who was testing it to the point where
>she had to reinstall Frame.)
>
>There are filters that go the other way, but I haven't found one that
>will take HTML and put it into Frame format.
>
>I did find a workaround which is a bit messy but still faster than
>working from scratch and that's to open the HTML doc into MS Word.
>Then save the file as Word 6/95 and import it into Frame. If you use
>the same styles in Word and Frame you get a reasonable conversion --
>except that tables are problematic.
>
>If anyone finds a good way of doing this please email me at the
>address in my sig or at ksoltys -at- solect -dot- com -dot-
>
>Best
>Keith
> Keith Soltys -- ksoltys -at- interlog -dot- com -- =
>http://www.interlog.com/~ksoltys/

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=