Document management tools or processes

Subject: Document management tools or processes
From: Tom Campbell <tcampbell -at- WEATHER -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 1998 15:49:18 -0400

Melissa,
I used PVCS in one assignment for tracking multiple document revisions. The good thing about it was that it gave us an accurate way to keep track of changes, and despite the hassles was a big factor in helping us achieve ISO 9000 certification. But we were using the 16-bit version and was pretty slow. It required a lot of LAN overhead, it would crash or lock up fairly often, and everybody found it frustrating much of the time.

Overall, I'd have to say it was better than the system we used on a project at another Very Large Corporation, where the tracking system consisted of Post-It notes on a chart on the lead developer's door! To work on a module, you'd go to the door and take the sticky, which functioned sort of like a token. To "check it back in," you'd stick the note back onto the door. Not an infallible system, as you might imagine.

--Tom Campbell

"It's as large as life, and twice as natural!"
--Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000