Re: Learning Framemaker

Subject: Re: Learning Framemaker
From: "Bergen, Jane" <janeb -at- ANSWERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 09:22:31 -0500

Let's look at your dilemma s-l-o-w-l-y. First, what is your background?
You said you have "good computer and communication skills" but what
exactly does that mean? Maybe this is the place to start...not worrying
about a single tool. For example, are you sure you've been able to
relate these existing skills on resumes and interviews to those skills
needed by employers?

As for FrameMaker....that's only ONE tool, which is NOT necessarily used
by everyone in the industry anyway. You mention the lack of FrameMaker
classes, but where is your "area"? You mentioned Boston (though I'm not
assuming that you live there already) and I'm sure there are some
courses and independent trainers there. Someone may know of a course
you've missed. If you're just deadset that you have to learn FrameMaker,
you'll probably be better off to BUY your own copy (think tax
deduction?) and teach yourself. That may also help you develop a
portfolio or work samples to show perspective employers.

So if you want to break into tech writing, don't let your lack of
knowledge about FrameMaker hold you back. Get everything else in order
first. Then be creative. Maybe you can find another tech writer who will
sit with you for a few hours and get you up and started with it. Join
STC and check out mentoring programs. Check out distance-learning
programs (some are even online). Develop your other skills (HTML,
WinHelp, technical writing methodologies), start networking NOW.

Good luck,

Jane Bergen
Jane Bergen, Technical Writer
AnswerSoft, Inc.