angle brackets(< >) and html. (was purpose of arrows)

Subject: angle brackets(< >) and html. (was purpose of arrows)
From: Keith Wolfe <keith -at- MERGE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 12:50:10 -0600

Earlier, in regards to use of arrows in procedures, I wrote:

Does anybody know if this method (single ">") creates a problem
with HTML conversion?

David Brown Responded:

> Yes, but no worse than any other use of left or right angle brackets,
> which are interpreted as tag delimiters. The strings "<!--" and "-->"
> are a special case (not really an exception): they begin and end
> comment blocks.

So how do you work around this problem? We've thought of using a pipe ( | ) to
eliminate wordy sentences. We accompany this with a blurb in the conventions
section. My question to you is this:

Is there an easier way to connote action while avoiding any pitfalls if
converting text with angle brackets (< >) to HTML?

My apologies for hanging on to an otherwise dying topic.

-kw

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=