Re: re-formatting Word's autonumbers

Subject: Re: re-formatting Word's autonumbers
From: JIMCHEVAL -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 14:10:14 EDT

mfisher -at- AUTOMATEDLOGIC -dot- COM writes:

<<
The best I can figure is that Word thinks the numbers are autonumbers,
because I can't select and edit the number directly. If I go in to change
the color of the autonumber, it changes the color of all the numbers in the
list, when I only want to change the color of one number. I've tried
turning off autonumbers, but that doesn't seem to work either, I guess
because the numbers are already there. >>
One of the most irritating things about Word 97 is its semi-artificial
intelligence, which will 'guess' what you really meant to do. And guess how
often it's wrong?

So that might well be happening here. Have you tried taking off the
autonumbering several times in a row? Sometimes a little insistence will
convince the genie that you really don't want its help.

Another thing to know about any automatic bullet or number is that it often
takes on the formatting of the LAST element (visible or not) on that same
line. So if for some reason the last character before the next hard return is
a different color, that's what you'll get on the number.

Those are my first two thoughts. But if this document has been converted
multiple times, all kinds of things could happen at this point.

Jim Chevallier
North Hollywood
== TW page - http://members.aol.com/jimcheval/twone.htm
== Ego page - http://www.gis.net/~jimcheval