Re: Frame Question

Subject: Re: Frame Question
From: Steve Gotler <sngotler -at- GOTLER -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 18:08:51 -0400

I may know what's wrong. This one gets me every time...

Check all of your paragraph style autonumbering formats. All formats with
the same autonumbering flow need to have the same number of bracketed (<>)
entries. They probably don't. My guess is that they don't and you are using
a paragraph format after the chapter 3 paragraph that resets the numbering.
Fix them by adding entries and putting the autonumbers in the appropriate
positions.

For example, the following will not work properly:

Paragraph Autonumber
------------- --------------
Chapter c:<n+>
Title c:< ><n+>
Figure c:<n+>

A Figure paragraph placed between two Chapter tags, will mess up the
chapter numbering.

But, the following WILL work:

Paragraph Autonumber
------------- --------------
Chapter c:<n+>< >< >
Title c:< ><n+>< >
Figure c:< >< ><n+>

Now, a Figure paragraph placed between two chapter tags will not affect the
Chapter numbering.

I believe you need a space in the < > entry to make this work. There is a
selection for it in the paragraph designer's drop-down list.

Good luck. Remember, you can always save as MIF and investigate in a text
editor. But that's cumbersome.

I'm working in Frame 5.0 on a Unix platform.
I have a document with 6 chapters in 1 file.
I have 2 paragraph tags to identify the chapters:
chapter and title. The format is:

Chapter 1
Title
text....

Chapter 2
Title
text....

The chapter numbers work through Chapter 3. At
Chapter 4, the chapter numbers start at 1 again. The
numbering setting for the chapter tag is:
Chapter <n+>

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=