Re: Rates for Freelance work?

Subject: Re: Rates for Freelance work?
From: Bernie McCann <BernieMc -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 1998 15:17:43 EDT

Hi Elvin;

<<
I could do the job, I need it for my resume and portfolio, but I am
inexperienced. Can anyone suggest a suitable rate? I am in the Boston
area. The job would be very short with a specific completion date
etc.

Firstly, I can't answer your direct question, because I don't even reside in
the U.S.A. Nevertheless I am concerned with your mail enough to put my
mentoring hat on.

These questions shot out at me:

a. How do you know that you can do the job?

b. Your portfolio is, perhaps, not as important as you imagine.

c. What does "inexperienced" really mean?

d. As a "freelancer", you are managing a business, your business. How can
you run a business not knowing how to produce a business plan, specifically, a
budget? If I tell you $25/hr, what happens if the client asks you, why?
You'll look foolish if you reply, someone told me to say that. Because you
are inexperienced, you should charge at the low end, and it should be enough
to pay your rent and buy your cheese dinner! Seriously though, that's what
you must calculate. Nobody's costs are the same. When you are ready to
answer the "why" question, then, if you feel that you could increase your rate
by 50% because of what others may tell you, at least you will know how to
negotiate. Perhaps, even more important, if you discover that your personal
calculations show a rate 50% greater than others. Then, you'll realise when
not to accept a particular job, perhaps.

Good luck.

Bernie

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=