Writing vs speaking

Subject: Writing vs speaking
From: Nancy Dickenson <ndickenson -at- MINDSPRING -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 18:05:58 -0400

As a native of Atlanta, for some reason I write much better than I speak!
Although my accent is not as "bad" or "heavy" as it once was, I have been
told by northern friends that I am occasionally hard to understand. I
majored in English at Agnes Scott College and have been making a living as a
technical writer for several years. I am much more articulate in writing
than speaking.

I read that Flannery O'Connor was up north at a writer's workshop and had
such a heavy southern accent that no one could understand her. She had to
write her questions and comments on paper and pass them up front to be read
aloud by a northerner so everyone would know what she was saying.

Nancy Dickenson
Technical Writer
Atlanta, Georgia
ndickenson -at- mindspring -dot- com