Conceit, typists, etc.

Subject: Conceit, typists, etc.
From: Melonie Holliman <LonieH -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 11:19:55 EDT

Howdy,

Wow! The email is flying today. Good points, Eric, by the way. We do
tend to be a conceited bunch. In my experience, conceit tends to be
a cover for fear. And, personally, I see why. I find it a bit scary that so
many people are flocking to our trade. I think that is where a lot of these
attitudes are coming from.

Right now, we are on the top of the heap. We have finally convinced
the majority of the world that we really are needed (after decades of
screaming over unreadable instructions). We have finally gained a bit
of respect. Now a whole lot of people out there with a little writing ability
decide to become tech writers and start competing with us for precious
jobs. And, since the only real way to judge a tech writer is by reading and
using their docs, unskilled individuals can talk their way into positions.
This
situation dredges up fear for our future: more competition for jobs, unskilled
and uncaring writers giving the rest of us a bad name, etc.

I am in a great field and am right now a hot commodity. Unfortunately,
there are a lot of people who don't know what else to do with themselves
who have figured that out. Some of those people have the desire and
potential to be really good tech writers. Some, those who are jumping on
the band wagon looking for an easy ride, just want the money.

The good thing, those who are just in it for the money will move on to the
next hot job when tech writer positions tighten up again. There will still be
jobs for those of us who want them. They may be harder to find and might
not pay so much, but they will be here. And, those who really want to be
tech writers are finding a way to enter our profession during this boom.

If you are part of this list, chances are you really care about being a tech
writer. It is hard to watch our trade overrun by those who just want a job
and don't really care. I still think, however, that we need to encourage
new caring writers. Like anything else in life, when we quit growing we die.
Our profession still needs new blood.

Melonie Holliman

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=