Re: Response to Documentation Girls Flaming

Subject: Re: Response to Documentation Girls Flaming
From: Nancy Hickman <nhickman -at- GVI -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 12:41:39 -0500

I hope that you realize that, since you are all in the same group now,
that to outside people, you are now one of the "girls."

I know that you are honestly using the term given to you, but I am
addressing the list as much as you, because you may not have a unique
situation.

Despite any opinion that you have, for your own sake, don't brush this
one aside with a jaunty "get a life." You may not be so amused when you
discover that in future the amount of money allocated to you for staff,
equipment, and training is "girl-sized." Not to mention, the salary
range for your job and the expectations for design and performance could
be degraded over time to the lowest common level. When you decide to try
something "cool" or complicated, you could face a challenge trying to
sell your concepts. You may have to decide whether you would like to
have a budget and opportunities comparable to other technical parts of
your organization, or whether you would rather bank being a good girl
(or the latest incarnation of the "good girl" which is the "cool girl"
who blithely says that she doesn't mind or see sexism in the world.)

If your organization casually or formally refers to them as "doc girls,"
that needs to be changed, if not for their sake, for yours and your
future opportunities and your pocketbook. This is where your skills in
leadership and vision will be tested, because you will actually be
making a change where people are resistant to change. It may take some
uncomfortable moments when you and your manager ask that people no
longer refer to people on your team as "doc girls." (what, they can't
envision hiring a guy for the job?) This is where the rubber meets the
road. It is also important that you get clear distinctions of job title,
salary range, responsibility, and path of promotability. I really hope
that you can work to create an environment where you feel that your
success and growth are supported. My concern is that you are not quite
there yet.

-- Nancy Hickman

Melissa Conniff wrote:

> Gang,
>
> I've asked an honest question and the majority of responses have been to flame me
> for using the term "girls". Get a life folks! It was not meant in a degrading
> manner. They are called "Documentation Girls" here. I fact, they call themselves
> Word Processors. shrug. I'm sorry if I have accidently hurt someone with this
> reference. I've certainly learned from this one--like you can't say a harmless
> remark anymore. Guess I won't do that again, huh?!
>
> Melissa

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=