Re: A tribute to TW bosses

Subject: Re: A tribute to TW bosses
From: "Hutchings, Christa" <cwhutchings -at- HOMEWIRELESS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 15:04:12 -0400

Deborah Ray wrote:

>This boss, though,
>was different than any I'd had before: he was willing to learn
>from ME. Just as he'd stand over my shoulder and help with a
>computer question, he didn't mind that I'd stand over his shoulder
>and say, "No, write it like this...." In being able to contribute
>like this, *I* became a better writer. Because this boss was more
>concerned about putting out excellent publications than he was
>about his status as a "boss" or a "senior technical writer," he
>let me grow and admits to having grown himself.

Bosses like this are gems! My best boss was always coming to me and
saying, "What do think about this?", or "Would you mind helping me
figure out how to approach this?" or some such. He had an engineering
degree, had been a TW for 7 years and a manager for 3 years, was an
excellent writer, etc., but despite all that, he really respected the
fact that I had more experience as a TW than he did and he wasn't afraid
to bounce ideas off me or ask my opinion. If the company hadn't been so
screwed up, I would probably still be working for him!

How many others out there have had super bosses along the way?

Chris Welch-Hutchings
Senior Technical Writer
Home Wireless Networks, Inc.
mailto:cwhutchings -at- homewireless -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=