The Floodgates are open (mainly 'cause the docs don't explain howto close them) -Reply -Forwarded

Subject: The Floodgates are open (mainly 'cause the docs don't explain howto close them) -Reply -Forwarded
From: Lisa Comeau <COMEAUL -at- CSA -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 16:29:31 -0400

Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 15:25:02 -0400
From: "Lisa Comeau" <COMEAUL -at- csa -dot- ca>
To: jdavid -at- FARABI -dot- COM
Subject: The Floodgates are open (mainly 'cause the docs don't explain
howto close them) -Reply

John David Hickey said (among other things)

... doesn't it get you really mad when people imply that any old joe can be
a technical writer? Just because I'm a pretty good pool player, doesn't mean I could get a job in applied physics.

(waaaay out on a limb there, John, but I like the idea...) ;-)

When I try to explain what's really involved ... I get the "Oh yah... I can do that" line. Ah well... I just write it off to "Ignorance is bliss". Although in these people's case, it may be orgasmic.

I think the general concensus here is that Technical Writing is the only industry in which this happens. Maybe because we're all TWs of one species or another, or maybe because everyone who is literate can write words, and so everyone thinks they can be a writeR.

Let me just call you attention to the people who have their ostrich heads stuck in the sand... it happens other places too. Like my first calling (and part of my present profession... ) training.

When people ask me what I do, I tell them I'm a computer instructor. They think that I teach "computers" how to do things...but if I give them my real title... IS Super-User/Trainer... they thinnk I wear a cape and tights...

And ALL the time, I get people who say "I can teach people how to use a computer, I use one every day." Well, I'm here to say that NOT EVERYONE can teach, like not everyone can write.

A perfect example: a couple of instructors who "tag teamed" a class I was in. They changed the outline of the course 6 times during the day, and refused to provide support. When I asked a question they didn't know the answer to, they made it up. When my boss later asked me the same question, I told him what I had "learned" (which was the only piece of information I retained) and got laughed out of the office.

So the next time we're all saying "Woe is me, the poor intelligent misunderstood TW, everyone thinks they can do my job", think of me-I have 2 professions simultaneously getting this attitude, and I'm STILL doing backflips at my good fortune to be WORKING and making LOTS of money, with my health, and a cute butt to boot. I'm happy, how 'bout you?

-Lis
comeaul -at- csa -dot- ca

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=