Re: Programming vs. Technical Writing

Subject: Re: Programming vs. Technical Writing
From: "Hutchings, Christa" <cwhutchings -at- HOMEWIRELESS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 14:03:12 -0400

Linda Sherman wrote:

>The programmer has a very small, primitive, inflexible, and
>unexpressive "language" to work with. The technical writer has a vast
>and highly expressive language to work with.

Seems to me this means that the programmer's job is easier than the
TW's, because the programmer only has to worry about her audience (the
computer) interpreting things one way. The TW, on the other hand, has to
consider that her document could be interpreted differently by everyone
who reads it.

If this is the case, shouldn't TWs be making more money than the
programmers instead of less? Just wondering.... :~D

Chris Welch-Hutchings (who can't program her way out of a paper bag)
Senior Technical Writer
Home Wireless Networks, Inc.
mailto:cwhutchings -at- homewireless -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=