Re: Getting Started AND Programming

Subject: Re: Getting Started AND Programming
From: "J. Fraser" <tekwrite -at- ISTAR -dot- CA>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 15:43:26 -0300

I agree with Dawn-Marie about the benefits of having a CS Degree
(please, no more wars about English vs. CS vs. whatever--I'm just want
to make a personal observation). Hence my comment in my Getting Started
story about not regretting the time invested to get it.

Since my writing has been mainly for the Software Industry, I know I've
been hired because of that degree. It makes it easier to relate to the
developers, I found I was accepted more quickly by them, and I settled
quickly into the development process.

I find the recent posts re Programming vs. Tech Writing interesting in
this regard. No, I wasn't a great programmer, but am a good TW and the
programming experience was a big factor in making me a good TW. I agree
that many of the thought processes are the same (e.g., thinking
logically, being able to understand complex problems/technology, plus
those things already mentioned).

However, as a TW, you're working at a higher level explaining to a
humans--with human thought process--not a computer that basically
understands only ones and zeros. We're not so regimented (as someone
said) in the language/syntax we use, and we are permitted more
creativity (and compassion/empathy) to get our message across to our
readers.

I find it interesting that many of those who wrote in with their stories
have, somewhere along the way, spent time writing fiction, poetry, etc.
I think perhaps this so-called "sensitive/emotional" side just may help
a tech writer become a better tech writer. Personally, this is an aspect
of writing I find interesting and challenging. This is likely why many
tech writers are becoming more involved in user interface design because
they understand the user (how he learns, how he will use the software,
and so on).

--
J. L. Fraser, B.Sc.
Technical Writer