One more on "How I Got Started..."

Subject: One more on "How I Got Started..."
From: Cynthia Fabre <Cynthia_Fabre -at- STERCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 08:14:12 -0500

Ok, ok, ok... y'all got me hooked into this thread....

All these fancy dee-grees being pushed around! Heavens! Well, I have none
of 'em, just two years experience in how to get liquor into a sorority
house at Florida State (not that hard, btw)! After one semester as an
operatic voice major, I switched to English, simply because it required
only 3 hours of math. Besides, riting gud kayme natcherly tew mi! Two
years into college the money ran out, so because I could type fast (must
have been the piano lessons as a kid), I became a secretary. NOT my most
favorite job in the world, that's for sure. After stints as a waitress,
professional rider/trainer (always had horses lurking in my background),
housewife and secretary, secretary, secretary, I was blessed enough to
stumble into a department that happened to be starting a huge project.
They needed tech writers and online help developers. I took the "test" for
writing and editing, and passed with 98%. They already knew me, knew I
showed up on time every morning, so voila! They sent me off to a RoboHelp
class (thanks, Dave Gash!) and I was hooked. Two years later, I continue
to develop online help (although not with the same company). I love it!
Tell the user what they need to do in short, sweet steps, and that's not
always easy with the products this company produces. I continue to develop
and hone my help writing skills. I get on a horse once in awhile, too.
**grin!**

I don't believe that my lack of degree(s) keeps me back. I've been blessed
to work for a company where a person is not judged by how many pieces of
paper are up on a wall, but by the quality of work they can produce. So,
for those who don't have all them thar fancy dee-grees, don't despair.
Sometimes raw talent and the willingness to learn can get you just as far.

Blessings in abundance to all! And happy B-day, Eric!
Cynthia

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=